Wednesday, March 9, 2016

What's Different About Bethlehem?

When we talk about our school, we all say "There's something different about Bethlehem" and today I am going to tell you a very personal story about our school and my own daughter.

So here goes....you see, the science fair is coming up next week and my daughter who is in 4th grade has been struggling to find an idea that peeks her interest. And I am sure many of you can commiserate with me on this one...it looks a little something like this....

Me: Please work on finding a science fair project...
Her: I can't...
Me: Yes, you can, just go on the Internet and look there are a ton of projects....
Her: I can't find one...
Me: Let me help you...How about this one?
Her: No
Me: Well, what about this one?
Her: No

And the battle goes on and on...

I believe in teaching my children about natural consequences of not following through with personal responsibilities, so I informed her that she would have to do the work or receive whatever grade she got for choosing not to do it. She was okay with that. :)

However, I love school and understand the importance of the learning process and as her parent I do not want to see her fail, so I have been worrying about this.....

Today, I decided that I was going to talk to her teacher about it and let her know the impasse we had come to regarding the science fair project...and I did. I asked her teacher if she could speak with her about it and help motivate her just a bit to get some work done. I know that she loves my daughter and wants to see her succeed. We are a team!!

A few hours later, her teacher excitedly came to me and said, "You need to come and see what she made." When I walked into the classroom and they displayed a science fair question and demonstration I stood in awe. Her teacher and a classmate helped her find something she's excited about and willing to work on to get the project completed in time.

I didn't even know what to say, but as I walked down the hallway back to my office the only thing I could think of is...THIS is what's different about Bethlehem.

You see....we do life together. We count on each other. We support each other. We motivate each other. And my daughter's life has been changed as a result of amazing teachers who are not only her cheerleaders, but who love her as their own. We are a family!

THIS IS WHAT'S DIFFERENT ABOUT BETHLEHEM! 

I'm telling you.....God continues to show up and show off here. 

If you are looking for a school home, please consider checking us out!!!

(This blog has been printed with my daughter's permission!!) 

4 comments:

  1. Science Fair projects are important to students' learning and yet can be so frustrating to parents. I'm glad that her teacher had a classmate help her at it exemplifies our Lutheran Schools Week theme from yesterday of LEARNING TOGETHER. What a beautiful story that shows how students are motivated differently and that a teacher was able to discover the way to motivate your daughter. Makes me smile so big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it takes someone outside of the household to motivate the kids. We're just mom and/or dad, what do we know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. And how great is it that those 'outside' influences from Bethlehem love the Lord and the kids!

      Delete